Tonight my hubby and I attempted to make our first pizza–and it was a great success! We usually have pizza delivered, or cook up a frozen one when we are in the mood because we don’t have time to make one from scratch. But when we went grocery shopping yesterday, I saw a refrigerated ball of pizza dough on sale at Publix…so we decided that Monday we would make our first homemade pizza.
I used a recipe I found through Pinterest for my inspiration. I made a few minor changes and it came out delish!
The best part is the roasted garlic, so as long as you make that your base, you can put on whatever toppings you please and it should turn out great.
Roasted Garlic Pizza
- 1 head garlic
- Olive oil
- Flour, for dusting
- 1 package refrigerated pizza dough, at room temperature
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 3 ounces spinach
- 10 ounces diced tomatoes (I used Cento brand), drained a bit to get rid of some of the liquid
- 1-2 vine ripe tomatoes, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel the outer layers of the garlic skin away from the garlic, leaving the cloves intact. Cut about 1/4 inch off the top of the garlic head, exposing the tops of the cloves. Drizzle with olive oil and wrap in aluminum foil. Roast in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove garlic from oven and let cool for easy handling. Once cooled, remove the skin from the cloves and mash into a paste.
- Raise oven temperature to 425 degrees.
- Using a rolling pin dusted with flour, roll out the pizza dough. Place dough on a lightly oiled cookie sheet or pizza stone and drizzle with olive oil. Spread roasted garlic evenly onto the dough. Then sprinkle some oregano.
- In a pan, saute the mushrooms and spinach in olive oil. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Once the spinach is wilted and the mushrooms are lightly browned add the diced tomatoes. Cook on medium high for about five minutes, just to evaporate some more of the tomato liquids.
- Spread the pizza sauce evenly over the dough. Top with mozzarella and sliced tomatoes.
- Bake until crust is golden and cheese is bubbling, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven. Let cool about 5 minutes and serve! Happy Eating 😀