You need to try this recipe. I have never liked meatloaf, but my mom emailed me this recipe promising it was the absolute best meatloaf. I gave it a try, and I concur.
The use of turkey makes this healthy and the veggies keep the dish moist. It’s a win-win!
So if you think you don’t like meatloaf, try this one out, you won’t regret it.
Turkey & Veggie Meatloaf
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 zucchini
- 2 bell peppers
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon ground thyme
- 1/4 cup dried parsley
- 1 pound ground turkey (I used 94 percent lean)
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup plus 1/8 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup plus 1/8 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Dice the zucchini and bell peppers. Mince the garlic.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Heat the oil in a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Add zucchini, bell peppers, garlic and 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes. Season with salt and pepper and cook until the vegetables are almost soft, about 5-10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk an egg, parsley and thyme in a large bowl.
- Add the turkey, panko, grated cheese, 1/4 cup ketchup, 1/4 cup barbecue sauce, 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar and the cooled vegetables; mix until just combined.
- Gently press the mixture into a 9×5 pan.
- Mix 1/8 cup ketchup, 1/8 cup barbecue sauce, 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes in a small bowl; brush the mixture over the entire loaf.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Let rest for about 10 minutes before slicing and serving.